A period of 30 years over which climate averages are calculated.
UKCP09 uses 30-year time periods for both the baseline climate and for all future climate projections. The projections are reported for seven overlapping 30-year time periods. Each future time period is named based on the decade upon which it is centred.
UKCP09 time periods:
- 1961 to 1990 – the baseline period
- 2010 to 2039 – the 2020s;
- 2020 to 2049 – the 2030s;
- 2030 to 2059 – the 2040s;
- 2040 to 2069 – the 2050s;
- 2050 to 2079 – the 2060s;
- 2060 to 2089 – the 2070s;
- 2070 to 2099 – the 2080s
- This is shown graphically in Figure 1.3 of the UKCP09 Climate change projections report.
- In UKCP09, temporal average is one of the elements required when building a request in the UKCP09 User Interface.
- More details about the baseline climate of the UK, including regional differences, are given in the UKCP09 Observed trends report.
- The implications of user choices are discussed in Chapter 4.4 of the UKCP09 Climate change projections report.