Online Marine & coastal projections report
June 2009 ISBN 978-1-906360-03-0
Please note: Click on any of the images to download a 300dpi resolution version.
Jason A. Lowe, Tom Howard, Anne Pardaens, Jonathan Tinker, Geoff Jenkins, Jeff Ridley, Met Office, James Leake, Jason Holt, Sarah Wakelin, Judith Wolf, Kevin Horsburgh, Proudman Oceanic Laboratory, Tim Reeder, Environment Agency, Glenn Milne, Sarah Bradley, University of Durham, Stephen Dye, Marine Climate Change Partnership (MCCIP)
We would like to thank the Environment Agency, and in particular its Thames Estuary 2100 project, who funded the Met Office Hadley Centre research into storm surge uncertainty and part funded the assessment of sea level rise uncertainty which has contributed to this report. It demonstrates a strong commitment to using the latest climate change science to drive future planning for flood risk management.
The wave simulations were funded by the Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research through the coastal programme.
Some of the data used in validation of the storm surge modelling system were supplied by the British Oceanographic Data Centre as part of the function of the National Tidal & Sea Level Facility, hosted by the Proudman Oceanographic Laboratory and funded by the Environment Agency and the Natural Environment Research Council.
We wish to acknowledge the contributions made to this work by:
- Dr Emma Eastoe, Dept of Maths and Stats, Lancaster University
- Prof. Roland Gehrels, University of Plymouth
- Dr Peter Good, Met Office Hadley Centre
- Dr Ben Gouldby, HR Wallingford
- Prof. Jonathan Gregory, National Centre for Atmospheric Science and Met Office Hadley Centre
- Dr Glen R. Harris, Met Office Hadley Centre
- Prof. Robert Nicholls, University of Southampton
- Prof. Julian Orford, Queens University, Belfast
- Marie-Helene Rio and the CLS Space Oceanography Division, France
- Graham Siggers, MSc DIC CSci MCIWEM, HR Wallingford
- Prof. Jonathan Tawn, Dept of Maths and Stats, Lancaster University
- Prof. Rob Wilby, Loughborough University
- Prof. Corinna Schrum, Geophysical Institute, University of Bergen, Norway
- Prof. Jaak Monbaliu, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
- Dr Neil Wells, School of Ocean and Earth Science, University of Southampton
- Kathryn Humphrey, Adapting to Climate Change Programme, Defra
- Karl Hardy, Flood Management, Defra
- Paul Buckley, Cefas
- Dr Stephen Dye, Cefas
- Roger Street, UKCIP
- Anna Steynor, UKCIP
- Dr Paul Bowyer, UKCIP
- Richard Lamb, UKCIP
- Dr Emma Verling, JNCC
- Guy Winter, Scottish Government
- Vanessa Bashford, Defence Estates
- Dr Craig Wallace, National Oceanographic Centre, Southampton
- Dan Laffoley, Natural England
- Dr John Baxter, Scottish Natural Heritage
- Brendan Forde, Department of the Environment of Northern Ireland
Reviewers’ comments have been extremely valuable in improving the final draft of this report. However, not all changes requested by all reviewers have been accepted by the authors, and the final report remains the responsibility of the authors.